This is the latest guide to help you set up an External Data Interface between your EHR and eNICQ 6. For the latest version of the guide, click here. Older versions of the Guide are linked below.
Changes to External Data Interface for eNICQ 6:
- Text file import now accepts text files in XML, JSON or CSV format.
- Direct write to database now requires writing an XML or JSON structure to a data field.
Changes to this Documentation for 1.1.0: This documentation has been revised as of April 2018 to include design changes to the External Data Interface as well as clarity on some issues.
- Added: Information on auto-population of VON ID field.
- Added: Appendix on escaping special characters in XML.
- Removed: Information on Code Description concatenation (this feature dropped.)
- Removed: References to "Deleted" field (this feature not supported.)
- Revised: Sample files. Original sample files were not compatible with revisions to EDI.
Changes to this Documentation for 1.2.0: This documentation has been revised as of December 2018 to include format changes for 2019.
- Added: Content on handling null values in XM has been added.
- Added: Content on handling new fields for 2019 and legacy fields from 2017.
- Revised: Sample files. New sample files for 2019 provided, revised copies of the 2018 format additionally available.
- Renamed: Old 2018 version of this document still available for download but has been renamed for clarity.
Changes to this Documentation for 1.3.2: This documentation has been revised as of February 2021 to include format changes for 2021.
- Revised: updated the list of acceptable values for Data Item DISCHOME/Previously Discharged Home to remove the value of 9/Unknown for Birth Years 2021 and forward.
Changes to this Documentation for 1.3.3: This documentation has been revised as of January 2022 to include new and removed Data Items for Birth Year 2022 and forward.
Changes to this Documentation for 1.3.4: This documentation has been revised to rename the data item TRANSCODE to TRANSCODE_OUT. That rename was missed in the 1.3.3 version of the document.
Changes to this Documentation for 1.3.5: This documentation has been revised to remove "deleted" from the list of fields that will be discarded by eNICQ on Appendix B. If a file is imported with a deleted field populated with a 1, the record will be deleted.
About the Sample Files: Please note that under the eNICQ 6 model, not all data items need to be included in every record. This is particularly apparent in the XML and JSON records where data items that are not populated simply don't appear in the data format. You will find records for 2019 that include the new data item DISCHOME. You will also find records for 2017 that include the old data items SRGLIG and SRGLIGWD, which are discontinued in 2018 and can only be shown in earlier birth year records.
Sample files are set to "Hospno 9999" which is compatible with an Expanded certification test installation in eNICQ 6.
About prcLoadExternalData: Based on developer request, we put together a stored procedure that can be used to handle your direct write to tblExternalData in eNICQ 6. It can be used to wrap your data write activity, or to confirm your understanding of how the database write is intended to be performed in your own code. You can download and run the procedure to create it on your database.
Downloads (note that copies of the Guide for 2018, 2019, and 2021 are available):
To download the most current eNICQ 6 External Data Interface Developers Guide, click here.
To download the most current sample CSV file, click here.
To download the most current sample XML file, click here.
To download the most current sample JSON file, click here.
See below for the 2018 versions attached to this article.